Monday, June 11, 2012

Our Family Tree

We recently finished a project we had started around Christmastime: a family tree.


We painted the tree on canvas. Each leaf was cut from copper after heat coloring (I first tried using a propane torch, but found a lighter was sufficient for such thin copper), then bent to shape. After tacking each leaf to the tree, a name label was affixed to each leaf, one for each in our immediate family, as well as for each grandparent.

The frame is special to us. My grandfather used it for many years to house a map of the world, designating all the countries in which he had served in missions. How fitting that the same frame has been re-purposed to hold a representation of our family's most important mission field: our children. The family tree encourages us to pray every day that the Lord will send our children out to proclaim the gospel to the ends of the earth.  And as a foster family, this tree holds special meaning; of course, Isaiah's leaf is already on the tree, but there is also room for every foster child who will bless our family in the future.

Here's a puzzle for you: can you tell what our family is "rooted" in?  A hint: it's Hebrew.  (Ok Hebrew scholars, if I drew it incorrectly, please don't tell me.  I can't change it now and I like how it looks!)

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is beautiful! You did an incredible job with that project:)