What is the next most important task in preparing for our first baby, after the enormous responsibility of seeking Godly wisdom for parenting? Preparing for Poopie Patrol! No, really, how are we going to diaper this kid without breaking the bank? Well, we're going to give cloth diapers a try. I originally chuckled at the image of me trying to pin a big wad of towel on a squirming kid, but soon learned (via a wealth of internet resources) that cloth diapering has come a long way since my babysitting days. Honest, complete with disposable-like elastic and velcro. Frugal extremist that I am, not only did I decide to make them instead of buying, but I made them from recycled cotton t-shirts, flannel sheets, and terry towels (I found good instructions
here,
here, and
here). It was easier than I expected! Here are a few samples:
Even better, Steve's precious mother, Pat Fullam, is excellent at crocheting. She made several pairs of wool "soaker pants," a breathable, yet liquid-resistant outer layer. She gave us quite a gift, considering moms pay $20-$30 a piece to buy wool covers like these:

So, we're gonna give it a shot and see if I can keep up with the laundry. :) And if we run screaming to the nearest grocery store in search of disposables, I'll take solace in knowing that at least the cloth investment was minimal. Here goes nothing... :)
2 comments:
What cute "soakers". Let's hope they don't get soaked too often. You're a brave woman to take on cloth diapers, but I know you'll take it all in stride, like you do everything. Glad to hear you have been able to get some travel in before the big day; hiking, 3 miles? and you're how pregnant? So does that mean you'll be out hiking in 3 months? I can see this little one will have a very active life!!! take care and peace. debra
What a beautiful baby, Steve and Karen! And, I just think the cloth diapers you made are GREAT! We need to have you come talk to MOPS at AMBC! Maybe we can fly you in as a speaker--I'll check with Kelli! :)
Seriously, God is just so great to give you so many friends all over the US. Love and blessings, Camille
Post a Comment