Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pregnancy Update: A Trip to the Hospital

Tonight we made an unplanned trip to the hospital. Though Baby Ruth is less than 31 weeks, I was feeling several contractions within a shorter-than-usual time period. By the time I was at the hospital and hooked up to the monitor, they were occurring regularly about every six minutes. However, a fetal fibronectin test came back negative, indicating that the chances of delivering in the next two weeks is very low. Not only was it good to hear that Baby Ruth was not on her way immediately, but the test also gives us peace of mind regarding future contractions, given I've been having them frequently over the last several weeks. Since Sam was born at 34 weeks with no problems, I am thankful to know that we are "in the clear" at least until 33 weeks. So I got a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions and was able to go home.

Unfortunately, tonight happened to be the single night Steve was in Los Angeles for a work trip. Poor Daddy was trying to figure out flight or rental car arrangements just in case I called back saying I had been admitted. However, two wonderful friends from church, Britt and Stefanie, took care of us. Britt stayed with me at the hospital and Stephanie took Sam to sleep at her house until I was discharged late in the evening. They truly are special friends (along with their husbands, who took care of their babies while their wives took care of us).

In summary, everything went as it should have. The Lord gave us discernment in knowing I needed to get to the hospital, the contractions were stopped, and we were reassured that we are in the clear for another two weeks. Praise God!

P.S.--I'm thinking Sam is beginning to understand more about this baby hoopla. At about 7pm when I told him he needed to get dressed to go to the hospital, he grabbed his diaper bag, dragged it to the front door, and said, "Come on, Mommy, hospital for Baby Ruth!" At least one of us is ready! :)

3 comments:

Jamie Rubeis said...

So glad you are okay. I will keep you in my prayers that Baby Ruth stays in there until she is safe to come out.

Brian and Jessica Ross said...

We are glad all is well! I had a dream a few nights ago that I delivered 4 wks early and the first person I thought of was you! Just keep this one bakin' ;-)

Sheri said...

I was thinking of you today. I thought of the heat in Vegas in August. Baby Ruth growing. You, probably being aware of every little movement and pain in your body as you hope to keep her safe. You chasing that sweet toddler around. The excitement and nervousness all mixed up... Wanted to let you know that we are praying for a joyful and smooth birth, and peace through the transformation into a family of four. So happy for you guys!
-Sheri