While archiving family photos from both sides of my family, I came across these pictures of special women as mothers and homemakers who illustrate our rich heritage of Mennonite faith. I printed copies to hang around the house and remind me to do my best for God's glory.
Proverbs 14:1: The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands.

My mom, Deborah Goertzen Janzen, holding my sister Leslie in 1971. My mom passed away in 1997 (at the age of 47) after a nine-year battle with brain cancer.

My paternal grandmother, Alice Friesen Janzen, my only living grandparent. I love her cheerful smile! This picture reminds me that there is no excuse for a bad attitude, even when I have a lot of housework to do--ha! My Grandma still emails me on a regular basis, and I love talking with her. She will celebrate her 90th birthday this year!

My maternal grandmother, Martha Epp Goertzen, who passed away in December of 2009. This picture is going on my nightstand, right next to my alarm clock, to remind me that wise women beat the sun out of bed. (Will someone please tell me what piece of farm equipment she is riding on in this picture?)

My great-grandmother, Anna Schierling Goertzen. I never had the privilege of meeting this woman, but I know she was deeply loved by my grandfather (cousins: don't you think he looked just like her?!). I would love to know who got her to pose for the camera while she was busy at work in the kitchen. I've got a lot of work to do if I want to live up to the reputation of our Mennonite family's cooks!
My great-grandmother, Nettie Goertzen Janzen (for the record, she is on my dad's side--don't let the common Mennonite name "Goertzen" confuse you). Also in this picture are her husband (my great-grandfather), David Janzen, and her younger brother, Eddie Goertzen. I have vague memories of my great-grandpa, as well as "Uncle Eddie," but Nettie died in her twenties, leaving behind a husband and three young sons to struggle through the Great Depression. What do you think they are doing in this picture? Looks like laundry to me; whatever she's doing, she looks cheerful!


1 comment:
Karen, that is a very early tractor. Steam driven from the looks of it. The rivets on the front give it away. That part was the boiler. Very cool.
Post a Comment