Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Songs We Sing

Why is it that we sing the most unusual songs to our babies?  Maybe because they can't make fun of us yet?  Here are a few (I am embarrassed to say) I sing to Sam, often with customized words and choreographed motions.  I promise, all the others are Jesus songs.
  • "Good Morning!" from the movie Singin' in the Rain
  • "Close to You" by The Carpenters
  • "Hey Little Playmate" nursery song
  • "Baby Mine" from the movie Dumbo
  • "Hey There, Lonely Girl" by Eddie Holman (instead, it's "Hey there, Sammy Boy")
  • "Walk Like a Man" by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
  • "Could-Ya Would-Ya Aincha-Gonna If-I Asked-Ya Would-Ya Wanna BE MY Baby Tonight" by John Michael Montgomery
  • "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls ("If you wanna be my Sammy...")
  • "William Tell Overture" (including as many parts as we know, while Sam races until he's too out of breath to laugh any more)
  • "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," the Guns N' Roses version ("Knock, knock, knockin' on Sammy's door, hey, hey, hey-hey, hey...")
  • "We Want the Funk" by George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars
  • "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" by The Righteous Brothers
  • "Nasty Boys" by Janet Jackson (only during the most "interesting" diaper changes.  In truth, the only words I know are "doo-doo doodley-doo, nasty, nasty boy," but it seems to fit the occasion.)

No comments: