Monday, January 12, 2009

Cookies

Recently, Steve warned me, "What you put on the blog is what people will think is most important to you." That statement is keeping me accountable to focus on what is important to GOD--such as God's Word, family, and ministry--not just my everyday distractions.  So I thought I'd talk about cookies.  Yes, cookies are important to me.  At least, as of this month.  

Steve and I have been looking for a way to make personal contacts with each guest who visits LifeSong Church.  I've found that on Sunday mornings, Sam keeps me so busy that I've missed many opportunities to make connections at church.  So we started our own little family cookie ministry.  After the service, we photocopy the visitor cards placed in the offering basket, then we go home and make a dozen cookies for each guest family.  I made up a huge tub of cookie dough that keeps in the freezer, so the cookies are done fast, and we write short welcome notes while the cookies bake.  Then our family gets to spend Sunday afternoon delivering cookies and hopefully visiting for a while with new friends.  

We've discovered that many Las Vegans are wary of strangers knocking on their doors, but most become friendly when they realize you are bringing a heartfelt gift.  Guests can feel more welcome during their second visit because they will know at least one family at church.  I am excited about this ministry because our whole family can participate (Sam is a great ice breaker, especially when he smiles and laughs), and it will be easy for others at church to join in if they desire.  And Steve is excited because there is a perpetual tub of cookie dough in the freezer now.  Ha!  Just kidding....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookies are a great way to connect. When Rachel and I started attending Applewood Baptist Church, one of the things that they did for us was a home visit with some cookies. While this wasn't the "end all" in deciding on a church, it gave a us a very good indication about the type of people at the church. Keep on baking!

David Stokowski

Anonymous said...

Yes, David, that's where we got the idea; we used to be on the cookie-delivery team at Applewood. How many years ago was that?! It was so much fun then, too. Even years after joining the church, people would remember, "You are the 'cookie people!'" So, special thanks to Mrs. Deardorff who first taught us to care for guests.