Sunday, January 18, 2009

Two Toofies!

Ever since we were in Texas at Christmastime, Sam has had two bottom teeth coming in.  He isn't too fussy, but his favorite thing to do (other than drool) is to grab things and chomp them in his mouth.  Also, spur-of-the-moment today, we decided to try some solids for the first time.  Sam took his butternut squash pretty well (much better than I would have, yuck!).  He made a few funny faces, but he was mostly excited to chase down the rubber spoon and chomp on it.


Sam's other big milestone (or, should we say Mommy's?) is learning to put himself to sleep.  Last week he started waking up in the night again (he had been sleeping about 8-9 hours through the night).  Truthfully, the first time he woke up crying at 2am, I was a bit ticked off, so it was easy to let him "cry it out."  At about the same time, I started putting him down for planned naps and a set bedtime instead of waiting until he was tired (which usually meant he was overtired).  A dear friend reminded me, "he's not hungry, he's not wet, and he's not gonna die."  Steve and I have been enjoying a little bit of quiet evening time together, and Sam has better playtime during the day because he is well rested.  Just another step in growing up! 

We are reminded how much we need the Lord's wisdom in raising Sam.  One morning he started crying at 5am.  Does that mean I let him cry it out because it is still nighttime, or go get him, because he is awake for morning?  Ugh, discernment needed!  The three of us huddled in our big bed (yes, after I went and got him) and we prayed diligently for God's wisdom in something as simple as knowing when to pick up a crying baby.

No comments: